Held annually in Kenya, FilmAid’s Film Festival strives to fulfill FilmAid’s vision of informing, inspiring and empowering refugees and other marginalized populations throughout the world. Through FilmAid’s extensive programming in Nairobi, Kakuma and Dadaab, each year, FilmAid is able to train, support and empower more than 50 refugee youth to tell their own stories through the power of film. In addition, the Film Festival provides independent filmmakers worldwide the opportunity to share stories with refugees in the Kenyan camps, allowing for shared artistic communication.
The 2015 FilmAid Film Festivals will run on the 14th – 18th of September in Dadaab and Kakuma and the 23rd – 25th of September in Nairobi. It is sponsored by Movies that Matter and the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Population, Refugees and Migration.
Call for Submissions
FilmAid presents our 9th Annual FilmAid Film Festival, with the theme of “Home Away from Home”, selected by our FilmAid-trained refugee filmmakers. So, we’re asking you to submit a short film answering this question: What does “home” mean to you? Is it a place, a person, a feeling…or something else?
We’re not just looking for stories from the refugee sphere. “Home” can be the place you grew up, your relationship with your mother, or an intangible sense of belonging. If you have any places, relationships, or emotions in your short film that describe the meaning of “home” to you – send them in. We’d love to see your “Home Away from Home”.
The selected films will be shown in the refugee camps where FilmAid works in Kenya, subject to approval from the Advisory Committees for each camp, which are made up of a diverse group of refugee community leaders, including women and youth.
1. Films must be submitted by August 14, 2015.
2. Films previously submitted to the FilmAid Film Festival are NOT eligible.
3. Films must be submitted online and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Entrant confirms and warrants required legal authority to submit the entry into the Festival and to use all music, images, and content in the entry.
5. Entrant will allow usage of clips from the film for promotional use on television, radio, in print, and at live Festival events.
6. All entries must be either in English or subtitled in English. Non-English entries submitted without subtitles are not eligible.
7. Only complete entries will be processed.
8. Please either fill out a submission form found at the bottom of this page OR submit a typed or clearly printed entry form along with the emailed submission. The entry form can be found at this link.
9. Students must include proof of student status at the time of production (i.e., copy of student ID, transcript, etc.)
Deadline for submission is 14th August 2015. Filmmakers will be notified of their acceptance status by August 31st 2015. Entry is free.
The Festival is not obliged to offer comments or reasons for not selecting a film submitted for one of Festival’s programmes.
C) Judging & Selection
If a film is selected for screening, the Festival office will contact the entrant by phone or email.
All successful entrants will be notified on or before 31st August 2015.
For publication purposes, entries selected will be required to supply at least one high-resolution photograph of the film’s director/producer.
D) Entry is Free
E) Categories (select one)
1. Narrative (Maximum 45 minutes)
2. Documentary (Maximum 30 minutes)
3. Short Subject (Under 40 minutes)
Click here to apply
Source : FilmAid website, August 5th 2015